Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I'm Glad I Didn't Waste My Time ...

... reading right-wing blogs, or Canadian government websites, touting all the fantastic accomplishments we've made in Afghanistan.

I'm busy enough as it is, so I tend to focus on the people who've almost always been right (and when wrong, at least had their hearts in the right place).

Because, if I'd been reading pro-war stuff, I'd have been having useless debates with myself and others since 2001. And here it is, 2008, and Afghanistan is still a mess.

If I'd been reading pro-war shit, I'd have been wasting precious minutes hearing from Rick Hillier, Stephen Harper, KKKate McMillan, etc., about how the Taliban is in its "last throes" for the past several years, when the fact that we're still there and insurgency is growing, kinda puts that delusion to rest. The fact that the fighting continues and the insurgency grows makes me trust this guy more than the previously mentioned imbeciles.

I'm glad that I don't have the time of day for absolute fucking morons. It saves so much time.

2 comments:

Youngfox said...

Love that government website.
It is Canada's "Engagement" in Afghanistan.
I thought it was a "mission"! Well as long as it's anything but a war or occupation.

First it was about "retribution", then about "tackling" terror (The noun war), and finally it settled at some kind of benevolent "mission" for gunpoint "democracy" and the rights of Muslim women.

The last rationale was the weirdest because if you ask any conservative about Muslims you get the whole "Islamofascists" are coming to kill you for your "freedoms" rant.
But we sure do care about what their women can wear and do....

The ever changing rationales for the war should be a clue, even for the least discerning among us, that the promoters of this long standing occupation are chock full of shit.

When Steve declares that Canada has become more conservative he is correct.
Canada has become a dumbed-down nation of "me-first" meatheads.
Nice, ignorant, cliché riddled "Tim Horton's folks".

The result of this intellectual degradation is a downgrade from tolerant citizens to conservative consumers.
Ignorant fear of a concocted bogeymen + unabashed materialist greed = more conservative.

The dead eyed psychopathic "intelligentsia" of the conservative movement can sell anything to these Canadian pie-holes as a moral duty or a sanctified effort for the amorphous concept of "freedom".

The intellectual black hole of religion and the hypnotic myopia of ultra nationalism provide endless fuel for the fire that is burning off the last vestiges of a progressive Canada.

" The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
John Kenneth Galbraith

amen

thwap said...

Truth be told, I didn't read that government website. I skimmed the title and some headlines and figured this the perfect example of the tripe I'm saying I haven't been reading.

I'm delighted that it was as useless as I assumed it was.

You've provided a far more eloquent description of the dumbing-down of our society than I was able to do.