Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cold Meat and a Missed Opportunity

I was standing in line at the liquor store when I found myself beside a case of "Moosehead" beer. There was some blurb on the price tag about the malts and hops in it and the awesome flavour and etc., as well as a suggestion to serve it with cold meat.

The phrase "cold meat" gave me a bit of a shudder and I thought about the line from the Queens of the Stone Age about how we're all food that hasn't died, and etc. And then I thought that actually, us walking, talking, sentient pieces of meat are really the highest thing we know. Even if you're religious, you have to admit your belief in higher powers is just that, a belief, based on faith. There are no werewolves. There are no vampires. There are no ghosts. There are no space aliens (that we've ever encountered anyway). There are no gods. There's just us. That's all there is.

Now, for the missed opportunity. I don't LOVE this song. I think the lyrics are a little silly. Especially when the "you" being addressed in the song keeps changing without notice from the guy who stole the girl to the girl herself. But I liked the melody and because it gives one an opportunity to hear a guy with a voice going all out kinda like Ray Charles did in "What I'd Say." But I was really disappointed to see the video.

"Fuck You" is about an ordinary shlub whose gold-digging girlfriend leaves him for a guy with more money. With a chance to feature the hero staying true to himself and his ordinary guy roots while the gold-digger and the thief get their comeuppance, the video flubs it. The ordinary guy becomes rich and the gold-digger ends up dumped (inexplicably) back down into the working class. More of the same old, "I'm gonna win the lottery all by myself!" drivel that keeps so many people chugging away in delusion.



So here's the video for "Fuck You" followed by "Mosquito Song" by Queens of the Stone Age.

No comments: