Sunday, May 11, 2008

Canada-USA parallels

Well, let's see: We've got a party mainly supported by the bottom 30 percent of the nation's brains, that spews all sorts of racist, classist, sexist, militarist drivel, and which is threatening our traditions of relatively open political discussion. This party is unopposed by a party of opportunists who peddle the same neo-liberal, imperialist garbage, but pretend to do it for nobler reasons.

We have a media system that utterly fails to do what a genuine media system would do. Which sees fit to print the musings of every empty-headed racist when it comes to the First Nations, and which saw the story of a woman fired over a "timbit" as more significant than three Canadian citizens trying to find out why our government had them tortured by a dictatorial third country.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

'So true. You've managed to sum up quite nicely al the things that anger that me about this weak-ass country, our Home On Native Land.

Also, kudos to you for your participation in the Caravan Against Torture. Have you read the report-back that Matthew Behrens just put out? I've reprinted it on the Justice for Mohamed Harkat Website, over here.

Keep up the good blogging.

Sol,
Brian

Mark said...

30% of the nations brains, that's what, roughly 9 million people - and potential voters? With supporters like you, the NDP doesn't need enemies!

thwap said...

Thanks Brian. I posted Matthew (a funny, brave, human being)'s piece on EnMasse.

I'm so tired of these assholes like Harper and Martin et al., making me ashamed of my country.

thwap said...

Mark,

Yes, the world is a big place. There are many people in it. Some proportion of them are going to be stupid. That's inevitable. And since there are so many people, that proportion is going to be a large number of people.

Get over it.

And, I highly doubt that morons and scumbags who vote for tax-cuts even if it causes homelessness, who vote for war on people who they don't know, who advocate torture and secret arrests, who believe that environmentalism is a commie plot, who would rather die in agony at home than endorse public health care, ... I highly doubt such people would vote NDP.

Nor do I think we should pander to them.

I'm not sure why I bothered replying to you just now, since you're probably the same guy who yammered about death squads without knowing a damned thing about the subject.

Mark said...

Well, my name does have a little hyperlink, and if you were as bright as you claim to be, you could have clicked on it to verify whether or not I am the same "mark" as you like to call me.

If the NDP leaders have the same attitude that you do (and I suspect they do) it's no wonder they lose elections if they are writing off 1/3 of the electorate as unreachable.

thwap said...

I honestly didn't care enough to check.