Monday, April 29, 2019

A Green-NDP Electoral Alliance


The NDP is moribund in the polls. But their support is still higher than that of the Green Party. (Last time I checked, the NDP is at 17% and the Greens fluctuate from 7 to 11%.) Under our antiquated FPTP electoral system voting for either party is often a complete waste of time. (Which is why dreamy Justin Trudeau broke his promise to replace FPTP when he won his majority.)

Reflecting back over the years and years that the NDP leadership strove to become almost indistinguishable from the Liberal Party of Canada, I'm now forced to confront the purpose of saving this moribund institution. But then I remember the grassroots membership who have become increasingly sullen and angry and whose support for the party has been sputtering to the point of going out. THEY aren't going to vote Liberal. And the ideological origins of the Green Party reveal an overall disinclination to address the increasingly important area of social class. And I also recall how Jagmeet Singh showed himself personally responsive to the membership as he took baby-steps away from the party brain-trust's disgusting support for the coup in Venezuela (wherein Justin Trudeau and Chrystia ["fascist family"] Freeland have ENTHUSIASTICALLY aligned themselves with the detestable Donald Trump and John Bolton) in response to the membership's howls of outrage.

The two parties should come to an agreement not to compete against each other in those places where either of them has clearly done better than the other. They should even run as a coalition and promise to implement electoral reform.


And there must be no referendum on this. 20% of the population is so debased that they vote Conservative. There's another 20% (at least) of Liberal zombies. Both of these groups of partisans want to keep the system that often grants them majority government power. They'll never give that up. And their protests in the face of the imposition of a superior electoral system should be disregarded as the partisan demand that the votes of supporters of other parties continue to be null and void. Fuck them and their hypocrisy.

So, right off the bat, 40% would reject electoral reform. Add to that something from 10-20% who would find the whole thing tedious and confusing and if they were subjected to a six-month media campaign to inform and educate them about their choices, would walk into the polling station and stare in confusion at being asked a question about electoral reform.


Again; we're not talking about taking away anyone's vote. We're talking about making every vote count. Because the Liberals and the Conservatives are (respectively) almost useless and less than useless when it comes to the apocalyptic threat of climate change. Both those parties are comprised of imperialist scum. This country desperately needs an electoral system that forces them to consider the opinions of people who aren't partisan shit-heads.


2 comments:

zoombats said...

I see things pretty much the way you do Thwap. I have to add that I no longer see my vote for the Greens as a waste of time. A waste of time was my vote for Leona Alesleve and support for Trudeau"s promise of electoral reform. I had to hold my nose then but no more. A waste of time would be a no vote. I presently live in the 705 Con bastion of Bruce Stanton surrounded by rednecks so my vote, albeit wasted, will be a vote of conscience for Green.

thwap said...

zoombats,

Voting your conscience is a real thing and not a waste of time. I wasn't thinking about that when I wrote what I did. I was thinking of more practical effects and speaking as someone more pessimistic and cynical that the average person.

I voted Liberal in the last federal and provincial elections. I live in Don Valley West, which is a wealthy area. (It might extend to "The Bridle Path.") (I live in a cheap apartment off a busy street.) So the NDP isn't in play here. I thought it was worth it to get rid of harper and to try to stop Doug Ford. But I'll never vote Liberal again.

If nothing changes, I'll stay home.