Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Epilogue for Global Warming Controversy

Turns out that the "big scandal" about globabl warming stats I posted on recently was more about something else of equally little importance.

The story began rapidly spreading through the conservative blogosphere. In most tellings, it contained the following elements:


a) NASA was forced to admit an error.
(Truth: NASA promptly corrected the error and acknowledged it)

b) The revised data were dramatically different than the unrevised data

(false)

c) The error was a Y2K bug

(I can’t confirm or refute this, but I doubt it)

d) The uncorrected data were a big part of the case for global warming

(wildly false. As noted, worldwide temperature records are far more important. And direct temp measurements are only a part of the reason we think the world is warming.)


e) The Mainstream media are burying the story (Er, there isn’t a story to report)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

"1934 is now the hottest, and 3 others from the 1930's are in the top 10. Furthermore, only 3 (not 9) took place since 1995 (1998, 1999, and 2006). The years 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 are now below the year 1900 and no longer even in the top 20."

Yup, no news here.

thwap said...

Wayne,

Well it should be news to you that the global-warming position hasn't been noticably changed by this revision of the numbers.

You still haven't explained the discrepancy between your resolute skepticism about global warming on earth and your instantaneous faith in solar-system warming based on a few random, cobbled-together facts.

thwap said...

well? ....

Nonny said...

I know a prominent global warming modeler very well, Thwap. He's one of the one person I know who I can comfortably say is to the left of you. He began his modeling career convinced of the FACT of global warming, and -- surprise! surprise! -- his model confirmed it.

Bah! It's nothing more than a warmed over 1960's Gaia hypothesis where we are the viruses infecting Mother Earth.

(Hat tip to Ti--Guy for reminding me.)

thwap said...

nonny,

Thanks for posting. Your unreferenced, unverifiable, convenient (for you) story has been quickly disregarded.

I don't think you have really grasped your total lack of credibility.

You've proven yourself to be a disgusting hypocrite, whose only saving grace is your ignorance.

Nonny said...

Oh, Thwapy, I don't give a damn if you don't believe me. I didn't expect you to believe me. You don't want to believe me. That, however, has absolutely nothing to do with the truth.

Praise Gaia.