Thursday, September 25, 2008

Judith Scherr on MINUSTAH from CounterPunch

A great article, highly recommended: "Blue Helmets in Haiti"

A rare glimpse at the situation in Haiti. Including a call for MINUSTAH to stay in Haiti from a source that I can actually trust as it makes sense:

Despite her anger, Bienaimé said she’s not among those calling for MINUSTAH to leave. She credits MINUSTAH for ending the gang violence in recent years.

“There are still things going on [i.e., gang violence], but it’s nothing like four years ago. Before, it was a very bad situation. I couldn’t sleep in my house because there was always shooting going on somewhere. I almost lost my daughter in the middle of crossfire, and I had to stay for three years in someone else’s house. I’m not saying the U.N. has to leave the country. I can tell they really help. but I still think the U.N. needs to respect people,” she said.



For the record, another Haitian has a different opinion.

Unlike Bienaimé, Guerta insisted the U.N. troops should leave.

“The way the U.N. treats Haitians is as if they are not human beings,” she said. “You shouldn’t have to deal with people who don’t respect you. If I died from this, no one would care, the same way no one cares about this incident. I believe MINUSTAH should leave, because they are not really helping.”

Worth the read considering Canada's ongoing complicity in this travesty.

No comments: