Sunday, September 16, 2012

Outrage Fatigue?


I guess the Liberals' getting away with murderous imperialism in Haiti and Afghanistan, and the harpercons' assaults on responsible government, human rights laws, free and fair elections, and etc., etc., ... and my own inability to do anything other than blog about it, has left me disoriented and dazed.

I should have had a much stronger reaction to this:
More to the point, it’s frankly astonishing that the government could announce it was exiling 3100 citizens of this country without raising a peep of at least apprehension from the national media.
Sixth Estate gets right into it here:
 It seems that, in the present case, the government will not even be announcing the names of those so targeted. CBC (at that link) claims that even the Cabinet orders authorizing the revocations do not name the individuals who will be subject to them. That sounds kind of unlikely to me, but if it’s true, it makes the matter even more disturbing. Am I really to believe that the government of Canada has the power to strip me of my citizenship without arresting me, without charging me, without presenting evidence against me, and without even naming me?
...
Citizenship and Immigration apparently has about 5000 employees. They say they’ve identified 11,000 suspected cheats so far, of which the 3100 named so far are just the second batch to come (after the 1800 announced last year). How many civil servants are involved in this escapade matters, because we need to know how seriously the government is treating this, and how careful they’re being.
So, I'm at least registering my disapproval here. Sigh.

4 comments:

Beijing York said...

You and I (and many committed progressive bloggers) may be outraged but I woke up to the news that polls indicate over 40% of Canadians are happy with Harper. Mega SIGH :-(

thwap said...

Dangerous ignorance and/or delusion.

Beijing York said...

Seems like I suffer from dyslexic hearing, it was actually 34% and not 43%. Still, unbelievably high and dangerous.

thwap said...

Either way, just thinking about it makes my skin crawl.