Tuesday, October 31, 2023

In Which a Leonard Cohen Song Spoke to thwap

 Leonard Cohen's "On the Level" from You Want It Darker.  I met a lovely woman who later described us as "true kindred spirits."  Over the course of months, through meeting at social occasions, it became more and more obvious that we liked each other.  And she was lovely.  But she was half my age.  But she must  have thought I was super cool and that I wouldn't fall for her.  She (obviously) was more concerned with the long-term consequences of our age difference.  But we both fell for each other.  She told me it scared her how fast it happened.  So she broke it off after two months.  This song therefore doesn't match up with what happened word-for-word.  But I could have tried to talk her out of it.  I could have tried to change her mind.  I could have used all those "I can't live without you" arguments that infatuated people sometimes use.  But I didn't.  I told her she was right.  I also told her that I would always be happy that I'd met her.



No comments: