Friday, October 30, 2009

The Faces - "I'm Losing You"

I first heard of Rod Stewart when he was the lecherous solo singer of "Tonight's the Night" fame. Then he went disco ("Do Yah Think I'm Sexy?') then soft-rock, now soft-soul, now a "crooner" of pop classics.

Some friends introduced me to his work with "The Faces." I'd read History of Rock n' Roll books and had become aware that Rod had started [okay, after a bit of time in the Jeff Beck Group] with this band, and that they were famous for being a bunch of "mates" who played together. Rod Stewart solo made the hits and "The Faces" did the tours. But I'd never heard them before YouTube. It was seeing this concert performance that has given me respect for that portion of his career. Rod's been a savvy entertainer. He's always been the guy who looks like the cat that caught the canary.



There.

Oh yeah. And so this was what Ron Wood was doing before replacing Mick Taylor of "The Rolling Stones" and where Kenny Jones was before "The Who." I hope the bass player and the keyboardist continued to make money.

No comments: