Tuesday, November 10, 2009

RCMP-CSIS: Jockeying for glory

I'm of mixed emotions about this National Post article [h/t C-C]:

OTTAWA -- The RCMP disrupted 14 suspected terrorist incidents in recent months, including several in which the alleged activities were interrupted without charges or publicity.
The cases all involved suspected national security-related criminal acts and the Mounties' national security enforcement teams and sections, according to the force's fiscal 2008-2009 performance report tabled in the Commons.
Buried deep within an attached document, police reveal they disrupted the activities of the 14 groups and/or individuals during the year. Though no additional details are offered, a handful of the cases were publicized.
At least four involved suspected operations of the Tamil Tigers, the separatist guerrillas defeated by Sri Lankan government forces in May following more than 25 years of civil war.


On the one hand, some of this stuff is pretty thin gruel. On the other hand, the Tamil Tigers are a major terrorist group and the Air India bombing remains Canada's worst terrorist incident. But all this self-congratulations about thwarting terrorism only builds into the racist, democracy-destroying hysteria indulged in by the pants-pissers on the right-wing.

This appears to be part of a turf-war betwixt the RCMP and CSIS as to who will lead the fight against terrorism (and receive the public funds to allow them to do so). I'm no fan of the RCMP of late, but I agree with head of the RCMP's Bill Elliot's pointed jab at CSIS:

RCMP Commissioner William Elliott said disrupting credible and imminent threats without sufficient evidence to justify criminal charges is sometimes necessary.
But, "counter-terrorism measures based exclusively on intelligence that falls short of the evidentiary threshold are fraught with danger and difficulty," he added.

2 comments:

opit said...

I'm afraid I've spend most of my snooping time on the Yanks and Brits. I suggest you familiarize yourself with reciprocal secret treaty information sharing arrangements among Canada/U.S./U.K. - blown by the CBC some years past. I suspect you need not worry too much about the turf war between CSIS and RCMP as there was/(is?) a mysterious other player above them.
I'm really cynical about the need for subverting every group going on no pretext whatsoever.
Here's an index of stuff I've catalogued. It starts with ideas for green surfers and becomes more complex and diversified.
I think I've been hanging out on different social networks than you and may have some novelties.
http://my.opera.com/oldephartte/links/

thwap said...

opit,

"I suspect you need not worry too much about the turf war between CSIS and RCMP as there was/(is?) a mysterious other player above them."

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. There is a turf war between CSIS and the RCMP. Whether they're subordinate to US agencies (as is our own government) or not, doesn't change that fact.

"I'm really cynical about the need for subverting every group going on no pretext whatsoever."

I don't understand this at all. Are you saying that I'm "subverting" the RCMP?